Madrid + Basque Country
June 17 - 25, 2017
Nights 1 - 4
As a child in the 60's, Jonathan recalls standing on the balcony of his family's apartment, watching then dictator Francisco Franco's military parades along Madrid's Gran Via. Five decades later, the city continues to enthrall 24 hours a day, with a non-stop pace that rivals that of go-go Barcelona.
- Treasure hunting in the chic El Rastro neighborhood
- We'll visit the Torrijos Market and learn to make an authentic paella
- Chocolate and churros at legendary San Gines (ahem, possibly more than once)
- An afternoon, or two, at the Prado and Thyssen museums, followed by craft beer or cava
- Roasted sucking pig at one of the oldest restaurants in Madrid
- A tapas cooking lesson, sangria and flamenco dancing.
- A stroll through bustling Mercado San Miguel, one of the best public markets in the world
Nights 5 - 8
Regardless of where you've been and what you've seen, the independent spirit of Spanish and French Basque Country will satisfy the wanderlust of even the most experienced traveler. Boasting a language, culture and cuisine all its own, Basque territorial fervor rewards visitors at every turn. In fact, the cuisine is some of the most influential and celebrated in the world.
- A visit to the Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao
- We'll stroll the old port, where gentlemen with wool felt berets playing dominoes
- We'll visit the añanas salt flats
- In San Sebastián: Michelin 3-star dining harborside
- Tour family-owned Rioja olive oil + wine production
- We'll learn to make pinxtos with Bilbao flare in a master class
- A visit to Vitoria Gasteiz, the best preserved medieval town in all of Europe
- We'll sample rioja wines, famous pinxtos, and pop into centuries-old sweet shops
- A day trip to French Basque Country, including Biarritz, with harbor-side dining at Le Corsair, and St. Jean de Luz.
- Guided personally by Linda + Jonathan
- All hotel accommodations as per the itinerary
- All breakfasts, dinners, and some lunches as noted in itinerary
- All (fabulous) wine at dinners
- All transfers and transportation
- Sightseeing as described in the itinerary, including entrance fees and services of professional local guides
- Lifelong memories, endless photo ops
- International air travel
- Airport departure taxes
- Visa fees
- Travel insurance
- Excess baggage fees
- Personal items and alcoholic beverages (except where noted)
- Gratuities to your guides, drivers, porters and hotel service
- Anything boring, ordinary or run of the mill
what's not included:
Prices listed are per person, based on double occupancy. This trip is limited to 10 people.